Cleaning Stainless Steel
Cleaning & Care of Stainless Steel Countertops and Stainless Steel Sinks
Interestingly enough, there is some conflicting advice or statements when you compare what is written, but the following points are common basics Do’s and Don’ts that all users of stainless steel countertops and sinks should heed to:
- Clean your stainless steel sink and countertop frequently with warm water, soap, or ammonia using a sponge or soft cloth. Thoroughly rinse with water, and wipe dry with a soft cloth to eliminate the possibility of water stains.
- Household cleaning products that contain chlorides such as Chlorine bleach or acids can stain and corrode the surface of stainless steel if not thoroughly rinsed with clean water.
- Never leave acidic foods lay in a sink or on a countertop for long periods of time as the acid will stain the surface.
- Always use non-abrasive type pads, a sponge or soft cloth when cleaning stainless steel, as steel wool pads can leave steel particles on the surface and quickly form rust deposits.
- When scouring a sink or countertop with an aggressive pad or mild cleaner, rub in the same direction as the grain to avoid cross scratching.
Additional research articles and cleaning tips are listied on our Research Articles Link page.